Pages

2.14.2010

Happy Valentine's Day to me

So, after not leaving my house for a record 4 days, I decided today was the day to blow the stink off, and head out doors.  I set out on a trek for the bays, via the railroad tracks, here I document my journey...
 
First I stumble across an interesting ice flow.  Almost looks like a frozen whirlpool!

 
Then, the infamous Livingston Estate/Calendar House Abandoned Shell.  I've heard many uses for this, one theory is that it was originally part of a boathouse.  Another theory is that it housed the power source for the grounds, and suffered an explosion at one time.

 
I don't know what the real story is, but it's cool!  I love crap like this!

 
 
And it's got great views!

 
Continuing on,  we reach Madelin/Crugar Island.  Home of many Native American Artifacts.

 
I contemplate whether or not the apparently solid ice between myself and the Island Shore will hold should I try to walk across.
Realizing I am out here alone, and that no one even knows where I am, and remembering that at one time we were able to sail the boat through this very channel, therefore implying that the depth is quite significant....I turn back.

 
Hard to see from this scale...but we've reached the bays at last...and that brown bump in the center is the top of a beaver damn.  At this point I am suddenly spooked by a large rustling in the brush behind me, and let out a small girlish screech.  The cause of said rustling was never found.  Do beavers hibernate?
 
I will not be deterred however.

 
Alas, a road block, hard to see but up ahead is a bridge spanning one of the bay's outlets.  Being a huge chicken, I refuse to  put myself in such a predicament as having to walk exclusively on the tracks, with no refuge should a train come, so even though that white post reads 98 miles to NYC.  
 
This is the end of the trail for me.

 
On the way back, I find myself on the wrong side of the tracks when a train comes by.  Forced to press up against this wall, and hope no stray rocks get kicked up in my direction, while my headphones do very little to block out the sound!

 
Back at the abandoned building....What a great way to spend a winter day!

The End.

No comments:

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter